Exoskeleleton

"An exoskeleton (from Greek έξω, éxō "outer" and σκελετός, skeletos "skeleton") is the external skeleton that supports and protects an animal's body, in contrast to the internal skeleton (endoskeleton) of, for example, a human." 

I'm a little worried that I won't be able to afford the fabric for my wasp oufit. I am also worried that I will mess it up if I try. So here's my compromise - I am making something as a backup entry. I've done this several times in the past and I don't just cobble something together, I do make something that has thought behind it. 
This idea is something I have wanted to do for years, but I have not been good enough.

Rather than wallow in self pity about the fact I am not as good as someone else, or unable to do certain things, I have picked a style of corset that is going to be REALLY difficult for me, and I am determined it is going to be completed. 
I'm making a cage corset. It's a style that requires millimeter precision, and patience. I chose to challenge myself this way insead of with another style, because of this. It is challenging to me in two areas I really want to improve in more than any others. It is also a design which fits wonderfully with the theme of insects.

It's been full of ups and downs, so far. I cut out front and "belt" sections to begin with - so far so similar to regular corsetry? Not so much. I found it a lot easier than I thought to sew the belt to the lining neatly (yay!) but the busk panel was really fiddly to work with. I chose to overlay these panels with lace, and this made it really annoying and a lot more difficult than it would otherwise have been.

At this stage I actually nearly gave up, because the belt did not match up on each side, and I felt utterly defeated. I didn't think I had the skills to do this after all.
My husband could see how upset I was, and how much time I had spent on this so far. While I had conceded defeat and gone to mope in the bedroom, he was busy looking at the abandoned work. He persuaded me to pick it back up, because it was just a couple of millimeters out and it was an easy fix. 
It's probably glaring at some of you, and less apparent to others, but the picture above is actually from BEFORE I sorted out the problem, so I had made a mountain out of a molehill in retrospect.
So once that was done, I was able to work on the center back panels, and I managed not to mess those up at all. Woo hoo!
All right! now the tricky bit. 
I was initially going to use plain black casings, but I realised this would mean the binding had to be black, which would look weird, or covered with lace, and the casings would look weird as the only thing with no lace. This means I have to cover the rest with lace, and this means the piece is even more time consuming, costly, and difficult.
But again, I shocked myself and pulled it off pretty damn well. I have a video showing this on my instagram (sewvictorian) but I couldn't find a way to upload it here.

I began inserting the casings into the top binding, and that is where I am right now:



I think it's going to look amazing. I am planning on making matching items, but I need to wait a bit because I am still convinced I will mess this up so badly it can't be salvaged.



Comments

Popular Posts